Fulton Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning
Your individual needs are what matters the most and the comfort of your family is one of our number one priorities. Take a couple minutes to figure out if a ductless system is right for you!
What is a ductless mini-split system and how does it work?
Typically when you heat and cool your home, the hot or cold air travels in your home through a series of ducts or a duct system in order to be transported from the heat or air conditioning source to its intended destination. A duct system can attach your entire home making sure that your furnace, boiler, heat pump, air conditioner or any other single HVAC unit can provide whatever temperature air you need for the entire house.
With a mini-split system, ducts aren’t needed to distribute heated or cooled air. Instead, individual units are used (typically mounted on a wall or a ceiling) and blow air directly into the desired room. There is an outdoor component with this system as well. They are often used in “non-ducted” homes because they perform better than other ductless HVAC units like space heaters, radiant panels and hydronic (hot water) heating systems. Mini-split air conditioners and mini-split heat pumps are often also the preferred method of comfort in homes with duct systems due to their advantages.
Benefits of using ductless HVAC units in your home:
- Mini-splits systems are an extremely reliable and efficient HVAC unit.
- Ductless HVAC systems don’t take up a lot of space like duct systems which have a tendency to crowd your attic, basement and other areas in your home.
- Each individual area being heated or cooled as different temperature needs. Ductless units come in a range of sizes from small to large so you can select the best sized unit for any given area.
- Many outdoor units have the capability to serve up to four different units or temperature zones which increases convenience.
- Duct systems lose a lot of energy due to how they are installed or just due to basic leaks and openings. With duct systems, energy loss is minimized and energy wasted will be greatly reduced.
- Indoor units can be mounted on walls or ceilings making them flexible for all different areas of the home.
- If you add an additional room onto your house or remodel, ductless systems are a great option for heating and cooling new spaces.
- When mounted in hard to reach places, remote controls are often available to make adjustments and programming easier.
There are also some disadvantages to this type of system. Initial installation costs can be higher than other types of HVAC units. While this may seem like a turn off, operating costs over time are lower than typical heating options. Also, depending on where you purchase your system, you may quality for rebates or coupons to make your installation costs lower. Many people don’t prefer the appearance of ductless mini-split systems because they are not built in to the wall like most traditional systems. Finally, it is very important that you work with a company of certified, experienced and trained HVAC experts because the location of your unit makes a big difference of how well it works. It needs to be fitted correctly so a minimal amount of energy is wasted. A poor installation can cause the temperature and humidity controls to falter.
If you are considering a transition into a ductless mini-split heat pump or air conditioner, it is important you know all of the facts. Find HVAC service technicians that you can trust and that have the knowledge, experience and expertise to get the job done right. Don’t take any chances to save a few bucks or to try to get a good deal – you’ll lose in the end. At Fulton Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning, we are heating experts. If you need a company with excellent heating installation services, we are the company in the Metro Atlanta Area.
Contact Us at (404) 602-0509